In the early 1980’s we added our first CNC machine, a Mazak VQC 15/40 mill and shortly after a Mazak Slant Turn 4 axis turning center. We quickly out grew our original facility and in 1989 relocated to our current 37,000 sq/ ft. facility, in Galesburg Michigan.
Our focus has changed from only offering grinding to also offering CNC milling and turning with grinding still an important part of our business. We are continually updating and adding new machinery to our vast machinery list so that we may try and fulfill our current and future customer’s requirements.
Quality Assurance and Inspection
At Smith’s Machine and Grinding, we recognize and endorse the concept of quality through prevention of defects, as opposed to the outdated system of quality through detection of defects.
We are in compliance with applicable customer specifications, and are accustomed to customer source inspections.
Quality Policy Statement: Smith’s Machine & Grinding is committed to achieving total customer satisfaction through vigorous innovation and continual improvement of its business processes.
Our Ownership Timeline:
- 1951 Frank Smith
- 1963 Robert Smith & Phil Wunderlin
- 1995 Scot Ogden (current owner)
The company mission is to successfully deliver to the customer high quality, cost effective products and services on time.
- CA Picard
- Clausing Corp
- FBN Sales
- Hammond Roto Finish
- Kadant Johnson Corp.
- Parker Hannifin
- Pratt Burnerd America
- PulverDryer USA
- Ralston Foods
- SPX’s Union Pump
- Trinity Shoring Products
We are confident you will be a satisfied customer and choose us again in the future. So go ahead, Contact Us today.
Here is a list of some machine types we currently have:
- CURRENT MODEL CNC MACHINES click here for details
- MANUAL MILLS Bridgeport Vertical Mills (3) Complete with 15” Rotary Table, Slotting Attachment, Dividing Head, Digital Readout, Vise, Boring, ect.
- VERTICAL TURRET LATHES SWING Bullard Vertical Turret Lathe with 42” swing
- DRILL PRESS Radial Arm Drill Cincinnati 9” X 3” & Drill Press with Tapping Attachment 6 Spindle
- BAND SAWS Walker and Turner Vertical 18” Throat, W.F. Wells Horizontal Automatic 10” Throat, Model W-9, Kalamazoo Horizontal #9 9” Throat, & Kalamazoo Horizontal KC-12 13” Throat
- CYLINDRICAL GRINDER Norton Universal Grinder with I.D. attachment 14” dia X 48” length, Dedtru Centerless Grinder, Norton Plain 10” dia X 18” length, Landis Production Grinder 4” dia X 12” length (Between Centers or Collet), Cincinnati Plain 6” dia X 36” length, Landis Plain 10” dia X 96” length, & Cincinnati Plain 24” dia X 125” * * 4 ½” Wheel width 4 ½” Depth / Side
- LATHES Sheldon Engine Lathe 17” dia X 48” length, Hitachi Seki Turret Lathe (2) #4 All, Dean-Smith & Grace Lathe 21” dia X 96” length, Monarch Model 62 16” dia X 54” length, & Atlas Engine Lathe 16” dia X 120” length
- MILLING MACHINES Cincinnati Vertical Mill #3, Cincinnati Universal Mill #2MH, Cincinnati Hydromatic Mill #3-24, Cincinnati #6, Sunstrand Horizontal Mill #6-36, & Kent Owens Production Mill (5) #1-14
- INSIDE DIAMETER GRINDERS Parker Majestic (Hole-10” dia & Swing-12” dia), Heald 271 Sizematic (Hole-6” dia & Swing-20” dia), Heald #72 (Hole-14” dia & Swing-16” dia), & Heald #72a with Cross (Hole-18” dia & Swing-20” dia)
- SURFACE GRINDERS Brown & Sharpe 6” dia x 18” length, Galmeyer & Livingston 12” dia x 36” length, Galmeyer & Livingston 18” dia 60” length, Rotary Surface Grinder 18” dia Table, Blanchard Grinder 40” dia Table, Blanchard Type Grinder 79” dia Table, & Harig w/Dedtru Attachment 6” dia x 18” length
- CENTERLESS GRINDERS (dia of work- 3″dia) Cincinnati #2 (2) & Cincinnati #3
- DEBURRING EQUIPMENT Jenex Smico Vibo Finishers (2)
- BROACHES Zagar Horizontal 16” and Pratt & Whitney Vertical Shaper 6”
- WELDING EQUIPMENT Wire Welders (4)
- COMPLETE INSPECTION DEPARTMENT including CMM, Heightmaster, and a variety of measuring equipment.
Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Portage, Plainwell, Mattawan, Paw Paw, Allegan, Athens, Bronson, Sherwood, Springfield, Bellevue, Nashville, California, Hastings, Tekonsha, Union City, Burlington, Marshall, Quincy, East Leroy, Fulton, Coldwater, Scotts, Climax, Maple Grove, Galesburg, Augusta, Colon, Eckford, Gobles, Otsego, Vicksburg, Schoolcraft, Lawton, and More!